tirsdag, december 30, 2003

Written the day after Christmas. . . .
Glædelig Jul! (Merry Christmas!)
My Christmas went very well. I spent it with Grethe and Erling and their family. Grethe and Erling have three children: Mogens(and Anette), Anders(and Kristen) + 3 boys, and Mette + 1 girl. On Christmas Eve we picked up Mette and her daughter Meline and the five of us went to church. After church we headed over to Mogens and Anette’s house. Anders and Kristen and the boys were there already and so were Grethe’s brother, his wife and there two daughters. There were 16 of us then.

We started the night out by watching “Jesus og Josephine.” In Denmark, on the first of December every year the start a Christmas TV series. They show approx. 20 min. of this show every day from December 1st until the 24th. It’s a new series every year, and everyone in Denmark, adults and children alike watch it. Everyone sat down and watched the final episode before we started dinner.

Dinner consisted mostly of duck, potatoes and gravy. During dinner we were each given a little candle, and we all lit them at the same time. The point of the game is to have your candle be the last one that is still lit. After dinner we ate Ris á l´Amande. And I’ve already explained this one before, but just for the heck of it, I’ll do it again. In the pudding there is a full almond and you try to find the almond and if you do you get a present. Once we were finished with that our candles were beginning to burn out. We were picking up the dishes, and I set my napkin on the table. That’s when it went up in flames. I didn’t notice it and the person sitting next to me grabbed it and put it into my bowl and poured soda all over it. It was almost a disaster. Needless to say I didn’t win the candle present.

After dinner was all finished and cleaned up we lit the candles on the Christmas tree. Yes, I said candles. They don’t put lights on their Christmas tree’s here they put real candles. After my dinner incident I thought this was quite a fire hazard, but I got over it. We then all took hands and walked around the Christmas tree while singing Danish Christmas songs. Erling played his trumpet for music. Once we were all very tired from walking and jumping and singing we sat down to open up presents. This part was very much like all other Christmas’ I’ve experienced.

Once all the presents were open coffee and tea were served and there was chocolates and other little desserts. Then we went home and to bed.

Christmas Day we slept in and then around 2 in the afternoon we went back to Mogens and Anette’s house. Today Grethe’s brother and his family were not with us. For the beginning of the afternoon we all sat around and played games. There was a very fun memory game that the five year old and gotten and some of us older kids played that with him numerous times, always to be beaten. We also played some intense Chinese Checker’s on the new board I got Grethe and Erling for Christmas. After awhile dinner was ready. Dinner today was not my favorite. There were many types of bread, and what you were supposed to do was to take a slice of bread and put all of the different types of fish and pastes on the bread. There was smoked salmon, and pickled herring, liver paste, and all sorts of other not so appetizing things. Once dinner was completed we had a play station 2, motorcycle tournament. Everyone was matched up and the winners went on to the next round. In the evening we had dessert, and then started cleaning everything up. Mogens and Anette were leaving the next day to go for a week long sky trip so everything had to be taken down. So, we took down the Christmas tree and all of the decorations. And then went home.

It think the thing that surprised me most about this Christmas was the lack of Santa Clause. Most Danish houses have Santa Clause visit the house live on Christmas eve and he delivers the Christmas presents to the kids, but since none of the grandchildren believed in Santa anymore(not even the 5 year old), Santa didn’t come, and there were no stockings either.

Overall it was a fun and exciting new way to celebrate Christmas. A little to much fire for my taste, but I had a good time. It wasn’t the same without my family, but they did alright with out me, and I did okay. I’m looking forward to doing some after Christmas sale shopping this week.

0 kommentarer:

Send en kommentar

<< Start