søndag, maj 16, 2004

The Wedding Day
On the wedding day school got out at 12:00 so everyone would have plenty of time to get where they needed to be to see the wedding. Anders, a friend of mine from school, and I went into Copenhagen to see everything live. We pushed our way through the crowds and got positioned in front of the church between angry photographers. Then the two hour long procession started. The nobody's came first. Mary's friends, and people who were not well known, but as time progressed princes and princesses from all over Europe came by. The crowd was something I had never experienced before. Thousands of people all standing outside waving flags and screaming. Everyone there just to catch a glimpse of the bride and groom. The queen came just at 4:00 when the wedding was to begin, and the bride arrived 10 minutes later. As soon as we had seen the bride Anders and I left to find a better spot for the post-wedding carriage ride. We got a spot right along the road on Strøget. We sat down to wait for the next hour until the wedding would be finished. There were police everywhere. I'd never seen the Danish police do much until that day. They kept the street clear so the carriage would have no problems getting through. During the last 25 minutes of waiting, I was asked by one of the police if I would open up my backpack. That was no problem I opened it up, they went through it and I was cleared. Then maybe 10 minutes later a different police officer asked me if I would step aside so he could check my bag. I politely told him another officer had already done so, and then I had to direct him to the officer who had previously checked me for bombs. During the entire hour we were sitting there I didn't see one other person get their bags checked. Anders said they probably checked me because I was wearing a highly controversial Christiania sweatshirt. I'm not sure, but it was defiantly an experience. When the horse drawn carriage drove by I had a clear shot of the Crown Prince and new Crown Princess Mary. I'm hoping the photos will turn out nice. After we had seen them drive past I headed home. The rest of the evening was spent in front of the television watching the dinner and party. Everyone in Denmark was celebrating. We had cake here at the house, and everyone had flags, and food.

Experiencing a royal wedding was something I will never forget. It was a fantastic memory was made seeing the Crown Prince of Denmark getting married. I'll probably never get the chance to see anything like this again in my lifetime.

0 kommentarer:

Send en kommentar

<< Start