Danish First Communion
Sunday morning I got up early and went took a train to Helsingør where I met up with the Schmidts(my second host family.) Benjamin the 10-year-old was having his first communion. Most Danes aren't very religious, but the Schmidts are catholic and they are quite religious. So, I rode with them to the church where I watched Benjamin have his first communion. I hadn't been to a Danish church since Christmas and that was aProtestantt church. Now my Danish is much better and that with the combination of having the entire catholic church service memorized created for a fun experience. I was able to understand everything and follow the service perfectly. One thing I thought that was strange though. . . they didn't take wine with their communion; there was just bread. Maria said it's their priest who doesn't give wine with communion for two reasons. The first isalcoholicss, he doesn't think they need the temptation and second is he doesn't find it sanitary, everyone drinking out of the same cup. I asked why they don't just dip the bread then. Andapparentlyy the Pope doesn't like dipping, so they aren't supposed to do that. Anyway, after church was over we went back to the Schmidts. All of their family whom I knew from when I lived with them were there, and we had a large Italian meal. It was a lot of fun. Afterwards I came back to Nivå and finished up some homework for school.
Today had been quite calm. The weather has been beautiful these past few days. It probably got into the 60's today and the sun was shining bright. Spring is definitelyly here and I'm restless for summer.
Sunday morning I got up early and went took a train to Helsingør where I met up with the Schmidts(my second host family.) Benjamin the 10-year-old was having his first communion. Most Danes aren't very religious, but the Schmidts are catholic and they are quite religious. So, I rode with them to the church where I watched Benjamin have his first communion. I hadn't been to a Danish church since Christmas and that was aProtestantt church. Now my Danish is much better and that with the combination of having the entire catholic church service memorized created for a fun experience. I was able to understand everything and follow the service perfectly. One thing I thought that was strange though. . . they didn't take wine with their communion; there was just bread. Maria said it's their priest who doesn't give wine with communion for two reasons. The first isalcoholicss, he doesn't think they need the temptation and second is he doesn't find it sanitary, everyone drinking out of the same cup. I asked why they don't just dip the bread then. Andapparentlyy the Pope doesn't like dipping, so they aren't supposed to do that. Anyway, after church was over we went back to the Schmidts. All of their family whom I knew from when I lived with them were there, and we had a large Italian meal. It was a lot of fun. Afterwards I came back to Nivå and finished up some homework for school.
Today had been quite calm. The weather has been beautiful these past few days. It probably got into the 60's today and the sun was shining bright. Spring is definitelyly here and I'm restless for summer.

0 kommentarer:
Send en kommentar
<< Start