New Year’s Eve
This New Year’s Eve I went with my friend Bethany from Wyoming and her host family to some of there friends house on Lolland. Lolland is a small island to the south of Sjælland(the island I live on.) I first took three trains to get to Ringsted, which is on the south of Sjælland. Then Bethany’s family picked me up, and we drove the hour to Lolland(there are two bridges.)
When we drove up to their house there was a giant yellow castle. The man whose house we were staying at was the farmer for the estate of the castle owner. The castle is one of the few estates that has been in one family for over 600 years. The man who lives there now was a great nephew, or something like that of the man before. He was the only living relative, so he got it. Wouldn’t you love to get a call like that? This kid was English, and he got a call saying he inherited a castle and a estate with over 200 houses, and 1000 sheep in Denmark. So, he packed up and moved to Denmark and learned the language, and now his wife and son live in the castle, and he’s getting ready to pass the estate down to his son.
Anyway, the people we were staying with had a beautiful large house behind the castle. When we got there the took us for a short walk to show us around the part of the estate around their house. It was amazing. There were long path’s surrounded by forests, and lots of old buildings that people live in who work there. When we came back and cleaned up we watched the Queen’s address to the country. Afterwards we sat down for a beautiful meal. The first course was a chicken/curry mix inside a crepe. Very interesting, but tasty. We had salmon, and potatoes, and lots of other things. To top it all off there was cake and ice-cream.
When dinner was finished we got ready for the new year. On the TV they were showing down town København. There were tons of fireworks, and then the clock struck twelve and we watched the queens choir sing the new year’s song, and the national anthem. There wasn’t any count down. Once the national anthem was over we went outside to do fireworks. It looked like a war zone outside. The entire sky was lit up from everyone doing fireworks. Everyone sets off large professional like 4th of July fireworks. In every direction you looked you could see fireworks. It was an experience I will never forget. Spectacular. The family set off their own huge fireworks, and the fireworks continued for a good hour. We played some games once our fireworks were gone and went to bed.
The next morning we had breakfast, and then took another walk around the parts of the estate. Bethany’s host father is in the tractor business so our host took us to see their tractors. They had a gigantic barn full of probably 25 similar tractors. They had a couple more barns full of other large farming equipment. Then they took us to see the sheep. There were over 1000 sheep, and in the spring there will be around 3000. That’s a lot of sheep.
After lunch we packed up and set off back to Ringsted. When we got back to Ringsted I found a train back to Copenhagen. They dropped me off at the train station, and the train was supposed to leave in 10 minutes. It was freezing cold. The temperature was –4. I have no idea what the wind-chill with that nasty humidity was. I was all bundled up and still freezing. Then the train got delayed, first three minutes, then six, and finally eleven. I thought I was going die. Because of the train being late to Ringsted I missed my connection to Helsingør, which made me miss my connection to Ålsgårde. When I arrived in Helsingør there wasn’t another train to Ålsgårde for another two hours(because it was New Year’s Day.) So, I called Grethe and Erling, and Erling came to pick me up, but that was another twenty minutes standing outside freezing. It took me hours to thaw out once we got home.
I’m planning on spending the rest of the vacation relaxing before going back to school on Monday. I wish you the best in 2004!
This New Year’s Eve I went with my friend Bethany from Wyoming and her host family to some of there friends house on Lolland. Lolland is a small island to the south of Sjælland(the island I live on.) I first took three trains to get to Ringsted, which is on the south of Sjælland. Then Bethany’s family picked me up, and we drove the hour to Lolland(there are two bridges.)
When we drove up to their house there was a giant yellow castle. The man whose house we were staying at was the farmer for the estate of the castle owner. The castle is one of the few estates that has been in one family for over 600 years. The man who lives there now was a great nephew, or something like that of the man before. He was the only living relative, so he got it. Wouldn’t you love to get a call like that? This kid was English, and he got a call saying he inherited a castle and a estate with over 200 houses, and 1000 sheep in Denmark. So, he packed up and moved to Denmark and learned the language, and now his wife and son live in the castle, and he’s getting ready to pass the estate down to his son.
Anyway, the people we were staying with had a beautiful large house behind the castle. When we got there the took us for a short walk to show us around the part of the estate around their house. It was amazing. There were long path’s surrounded by forests, and lots of old buildings that people live in who work there. When we came back and cleaned up we watched the Queen’s address to the country. Afterwards we sat down for a beautiful meal. The first course was a chicken/curry mix inside a crepe. Very interesting, but tasty. We had salmon, and potatoes, and lots of other things. To top it all off there was cake and ice-cream.
When dinner was finished we got ready for the new year. On the TV they were showing down town København. There were tons of fireworks, and then the clock struck twelve and we watched the queens choir sing the new year’s song, and the national anthem. There wasn’t any count down. Once the national anthem was over we went outside to do fireworks. It looked like a war zone outside. The entire sky was lit up from everyone doing fireworks. Everyone sets off large professional like 4th of July fireworks. In every direction you looked you could see fireworks. It was an experience I will never forget. Spectacular. The family set off their own huge fireworks, and the fireworks continued for a good hour. We played some games once our fireworks were gone and went to bed.
The next morning we had breakfast, and then took another walk around the parts of the estate. Bethany’s host father is in the tractor business so our host took us to see their tractors. They had a gigantic barn full of probably 25 similar tractors. They had a couple more barns full of other large farming equipment. Then they took us to see the sheep. There were over 1000 sheep, and in the spring there will be around 3000. That’s a lot of sheep.
After lunch we packed up and set off back to Ringsted. When we got back to Ringsted I found a train back to Copenhagen. They dropped me off at the train station, and the train was supposed to leave in 10 minutes. It was freezing cold. The temperature was –4. I have no idea what the wind-chill with that nasty humidity was. I was all bundled up and still freezing. Then the train got delayed, first three minutes, then six, and finally eleven. I thought I was going die. Because of the train being late to Ringsted I missed my connection to Helsingør, which made me miss my connection to Ålsgårde. When I arrived in Helsingør there wasn’t another train to Ålsgårde for another two hours(because it was New Year’s Day.) So, I called Grethe and Erling, and Erling came to pick me up, but that was another twenty minutes standing outside freezing. It took me hours to thaw out once we got home.
I’m planning on spending the rest of the vacation relaxing before going back to school on Monday. I wish you the best in 2004!

0 kommentarer:
Send en kommentar
<< Start