American Presentations
For English class we are doing presentations about things in the United States. This was an easy topic for me. Most kids choose projects that deal with New York. Many of them are interested in the world trade centers and of what is happening now with everything. The first presentation was given today. It was about the "Freedom Tower." It was a light hearted presentation that explained what was being built and the significance of everything. The second presentation was about . . . well, I'm not sure exactly what it was about, but it was pretty much an anti-american presentation. I'm very used to being questioned about my politics and the politics of my homeland. I will listen to others opinions, and also tell them what I believe. I have never felt threatened by what people said until today. The presenters gave 'facts' on why people hated the United States, and said what the US needs to do. If someone would have come up to me personally and told me the things that were presented in the presentation I would have listened and agreed with some, but also given another point of view to what they were saying. In this context I was given no way to voice another opinion, and I understand that they have every right to believe whatever they want, but it was just done very distasteful and I was honestly offended. After class I had to excuse myself to cool down for fear of blowing up at one of the presenters if they came to talk to me. I'm not sure why I reacted this way. I can usually take criticism about the United States government quite well, because most of the time I agree with what they are saying, but this time was just to much.
For English class we are doing presentations about things in the United States. This was an easy topic for me. Most kids choose projects that deal with New York. Many of them are interested in the world trade centers and of what is happening now with everything. The first presentation was given today. It was about the "Freedom Tower." It was a light hearted presentation that explained what was being built and the significance of everything. The second presentation was about . . . well, I'm not sure exactly what it was about, but it was pretty much an anti-american presentation. I'm very used to being questioned about my politics and the politics of my homeland. I will listen to others opinions, and also tell them what I believe. I have never felt threatened by what people said until today. The presenters gave 'facts' on why people hated the United States, and said what the US needs to do. If someone would have come up to me personally and told me the things that were presented in the presentation I would have listened and agreed with some, but also given another point of view to what they were saying. In this context I was given no way to voice another opinion, and I understand that they have every right to believe whatever they want, but it was just done very distasteful and I was honestly offended. After class I had to excuse myself to cool down for fear of blowing up at one of the presenters if they came to talk to me. I'm not sure why I reacted this way. I can usually take criticism about the United States government quite well, because most of the time I agree with what they are saying, but this time was just to much.

0 kommentarer:
Send en kommentar
<< Start