mandag, august 25, 2003

Food
Now that my first month has been completed here in Denmark I am begenning to get to know the food. I thought I would dedicate this entry to my experiences with Danish food.

First off would be the ketchup. My first few experiences with ketchup in Denmark were horrifing. It was a sweet thick ketchup that tasted just plain nasty, but as it turns out this was just a freak coincidence. Every place since has had traditional american style ketchup. My current host home keeps a bottle of Heinz.

Next I will go on to dairy products. Cheese. When entering a Danish grocery store at first glance you would think it was not much different then that of an American, but then you go to the cheese isle. It's not just american and cheddar cheese in different packaging, in fact I don't believe I have seen either types of those since I've been here. No, this is an isle of all different cheeses. And people just walk up and pick one right up. I went to get cheese slices(which are not very common) and thought I would just look for some American cheese and then get out. After about 10 minutes of looking at the selection I decided just to pick one up that looked safe and exit quietly.

Bread. Just like the cheeses there are many different choices for bread. French bread(franskbrød), white bread(toast), and then there is Rodbrød. Rodbrød is by far the best food I've found since my arrival in the country. At first I disliked the taste. Rodbrød is a heavy, fiberous, brown bread. You take it and put cheese and various meat products(liver paste) on it. The taste though has grown on me and this morning while I was packing my lunch I found no rodbrød and was disapointed that I would be making my sandwhich today with just plain white bread.

Sweets. When many people of think of Denmark there head goes straight to Danishes. That's not a wrong assumption. There are bakerys situated everywhere in Copenhagen. All filled with delicious pastries and snacks, but even more plentiful then the bakerys are ice-cream shops and stands. Ice-cream is everywhere. You can't escape it, but even the ice-cream here is different then that of the ice-cream in the states. The ice-cream here isn't as sweet. It's delicious, but not as sweet. Nothing is as sweet as in the US. The chocolate cake at birthday parties, isn't sweet. It's much more bland. But, I do like this Danish ice-cream.

Well, now that I have babbled on for awhile. I will end this blog. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day!

0 kommentarer:

Send en kommentar

<< Start