onsdag, maj 19, 2004

Guest "Blogger" Becca D.

I also have been invited to guest on Jess's blog, and have decided to do so. So here goes

Before Jess left, we had a few very interesting days at camp. Knowing that she was coming back didn't make the fact that she was leaving any easier. I felt illogical being so upset because I live in Colorado and only saw her a couple of times a year anyway. I realized, though that I wasn't just sad that she wasn't going to be around, I was also scared to death. I was scared for her, was she going to be okay? was she going to be healthy and safe? what if she didn't like her host families? What if she didn't like the kids? would anyone appreciate her fashion sense? Most of all, what if she really loved it and didn't want to come back? I think that's the one that scared me the most. I wasn't afraid that she was going to hate it, she couldn't, Jess doesn't really hate anything. I was afraid that she was going to love it. Afraid, I guess, that America wouldn't be enough for her amazing spirit anymore. Girls like Jess, confident, independent, beautiful girls, need more than we have to offer, right? That's what was going through my head as she was preparing to leave.

As was the case with so many others (Jennie) Jess has been like a mom, people at camp CALL her Mom! Mama Jess. Who else could possibly make sure we eat green vegetables all summer and bring sweatshirts and water bottles on hikes? Most of all, who was going to tell us to stop being foolish when we thoght we couldn't make a "major" life decision? But, somehow we have all made it through the year. The blog didn't hurt that at all, it showed everyone that yes, she likes it there. Jess is a brave girl, much braver than I can ever imagine myself being. To be that open to new experiences and new people is the gift of a truly amazing person, but regular updates have also assured me that yes, she really will come back. Not only will she return, but she'll return with a knowledge that she could never have had she not left.

Jess is lucky to be able to have the experience that she has been having, but even more so Denmark has been lucky to have the experience she has given it. Yes, the United States will be better off for her return, but it kind of makes me feel sorry for Denmark.That's a bummer of a loss. Jess, I love you and I can't wait to finally see you again!

0 kommentarer:

Send en kommentar

<< Start