lørdag, maj 22, 2004

Day 1 and 2 of Euro Tour - Berlin

So far this Euro Tour has been an adventure. It started out Friday morning when I slept through my alarm and missed the first train. I got their in time for the next train. I checked the monitor to see if the train was on time. It was, but it had changed tracks. So, I hauled my suitcase under the tracks and up the stairs so I was on the next platform. When the train arrived it was on the opposite set of tracks then I was. So, I quickly pulled my bag across the set of boards on the tracks that the construction workers have been using(their building a set of elevators at the Niva station. I got to the train just in time, but the conductor wouldn't let me on. He said that because I crossed the tracks improperly I wasn't allowed on the train. I got hysterical quickly. As the train pulled away I was standing alone on the platform. It was 6:25am, and I was supposed to be in Copenhagen in less than an hour. The next train wasn't to arrive until 6:40 and I wouldn't get into Copenhagen until 7:40. I had no idea what to do. I didn't have my phone on me, so I couldn't call the other exchange students to tell them I'd be late and to hold the bus. So, I went into the ticket office and asked the woman if I could borrow the phone. I had a number of the Rotary fellow who was in charge of the trip. Keep in mind this entire time I was hyperventilating and hysterical. The woman dialed the number, but he didn't pick up. I told her how I was going to miss my bus, and what happened with the conductor who wouldn't allow me on the train. She said with the construction at the station it was impossible to tell where you could or couldn't go, and that she'd make sure I caught my bus. The wonderful kindness of a stranger saved me that day. She called a Taxi and then gave me a voucher from the train station. I took the taxi all the way to the station in Copenhagen. It cost 600kr. or $100US. I made the bus on time and the first day was awesome. We drove through Denmark and into Germany. We arrived in Berlin in time for dinner and then we went out to see a church. We made it back to the hostel around 11pm.

The next morning I awoke at 4am not feeling so well. I thought I just needed to go back to sleep and when I awoke I'd get some food in my stomach and everything would be alright. When I awoke again at 6:15am I took a nice long shower. Then after getting dressed my stomach was feeling really bad again. Finally I ended running to the bathroom where I proceeded to throw up in the sink because I couldn't make it to the toilet. I tried to eat a little bit of breakfast and then we were on the bus again. We went into the center of Berlin where I had the unique experience of throwing up in a starbucks bathroom. By the afternoon I was tired and still not feeling well, so I decided to go back to the hostel. My friends were to meet me back there in about an hour. Everything went fine with the metro. I got off at the right station. But, when I got off the metro I realized I had no idea how to get back to the hostel from there. I walked around the Berlin suburb asking everyone if they could give me directions to the Youth Hostel. After over two hours I was getting tired. I felt I had gone down every road in that area of town. I finally got to the right street after taking the directions of a middle age drunk man in a bar. I arrived at the hostel. My friends had come back an half hour after me because they were worried because I was sick. They had bought me a flower. They were even more worried when I wasn't there when they arrived.

I stopped throwing up, and I'm safe inside the hostel. Tomorrow we head to Prague.

0 kommentarer:

Send en kommentar

<< Start