torsdag, august 26, 2004

Danish Girls

The town I work in is located in the mountains. It's an old mining town that is now all casinos. All of the parking is either meter or pay by the day. I don't like to have to pay for parking, so I park about a mile away. For this reason I usually rollerblade from my car to work. It saves time, and even though I'm not that good at rollerblading, I can usually avoid getting hit by cars. A couple of weeks ago I rolled in to work and sat down on the floor and began to take my rollerblades off. As I was doing so, I was listening to a group of customers talk. Just as I was finishing up, I realized that these people weren't speaking English, and yet I understood every word of there conversation. I then realized they were speaking Danish. I was thrilled. It was the first time since Marc had left that I've gotten to use my Danish at all. It wasn't like we couldn't have spoken English. The four girls attended college in the US last year. They all had no problem with English, but still it was so much fun to be able to speak in a language in which I used to hear all the time, and now go for months without hearing anyone speak.

I miss Denmark. I miss my Danish friends, and I miss my exchange student friends. A year ago my life was in a completely different place than it is now. I was almost a month into school in Denmark and was continually learning and experiencing new things. Now, I'm experiencing new things, but those things are a 50 hour work week, college applications and standardized testing.


This is a photo of some other exchanges and I in Prague. Good memories.

0 kommentarer:

Send en kommentar

<< Start