lørdag, november 29, 2003

My Evening at the Nutcracker
Nothing puts me in more of a mood for Christmas than the Nutcracker. Last week a friend of mine called and asked if I would be interested in seeing the Nutcracker with her. I told her I would love to, but I wasn't sure if I'd be able to afford it. She then informed me that her host mother had two extra tickets and would give them to us. That was awesome.

Today I got up and got all dressed up for the show. I took a train to Copenhagen where I met my friend and we walked to Tivoli. Tivoli is a beautiful theme park. It is sort of like Epcot in Florida. Each section is themed for a different place around the world. They're especially known for their Christmas decorations. The theatre in Tivoli is where the Nutcracker was being held.

Our seats were third row center. The show's set was amazing. It was continuously changing the entire time. The actual show though was very confusing. I've seen the Nutcracker many times, and this didn't follow the plot. The Nutcracker was never a toy nutcracke in the show today. He was always a real boy. They left out Chinese and Candy Cane, and it was very different in many other ways. The dancing was good.


This is a picture of Tivoli.

During intermission we had an invitation to get cider and aebleskiverer(it's a round fry breadish thing), at a restaurant just outside of the theatre. When we got there we realized that not everyone got an invitation for this that bought a ticket. It was a small room and had fancy seats. Everyone there looked very important. When we got back to our seats the man next to me started talking to me. He said he didn't realize I was VIP until he saw me at intermission and asked with whom I came. I explained to him that my friend and I were exchange students and her host mother gave us the tickets. Apparently her host mother is a big wig in the tobacco company that owns Tivoli. He then explained to me who the people around us were, the guy next to be was a chairman of the park, and the guy in front of me was the president of Tivoli. The people to our right owned the largest bank in Denmark. He asked if I had gotten a program of the show. I explained to him I was sort of on a tight budget and I couldn't afford the 40kr. for the program. So, he called of the boy selling them and gave one to me. Apparently VIP's don't have to pay for programs.

0 kommentarer:

Send en kommentar

<< Start