A friend of mine, Gregor, from Brazil came into town yesterday to see Hamlet's castle so we went and did the tour and I saw it all for the second but I'm sure not the last time. It's getting more interesting now that I know more about it. I thought I'd take the time to tell you all a little about Kronborg Castle aka Hamlet's Castle. First the connection with Shakespeare. In Shakespeare Hamlet he talks about Hamlet the Prince of Denmark. There was never a prince of Denmark by the name of Hamlet who lived in this castle, but Shakespeare set the play in this castle. It is not known if he ever really visited Krongborg, but he was acquaintances with many people who lived in the castle. He portrayed many events and descriptive characteristics that only apply to Kronborg in his story. The real Hamlet was a Viking prince, and never lived in Kronborg. In the Hamlet Shakespeare changed Helsingor to Elsinore. I guess the reason for that was so it was probably more readable by non-Danish speaking people. The castle was used by many Danish Kings and Queens for years. Now it is a museum. Last year Queen Margrethe II, the Queen of Denmark, held a party in the ball room at Kronborg. If you are at all interested in the castle the offical website, which I have linked above, has all the history, many pictures, and interesting facts.

0 kommentarer:
Send en kommentar
<< Start